Saturday, February 2, 2013

Starting this quilt for 2013. It's a Flying Crow Block that I discovered via an article by Betty Neff in Quilters Newsletter Dec/Jan 2013 issue. She mentiones that the block is from the 1850's and that she has only found seven or eight quilts using the block. She first discovered it in the book Lest I Shall Be Forgotten (Goschenhoppen Historians, 1993).

Here's my first block:

I plan to make 20-12" blocks for a full sized quilt using my 1800's reproduction fabrics. The original quilt design by Betty Neff was titled Cinnamon and Cider and was made using 6" blocks with a 9 block setting for a wallhanging. Lovely quilt, lovely inspiration.

1 comment:

Lizzi said...

Well, you certainly know what you are doing. These quilts are beautiful - I particularly like the one you did for your granddaughter, the blue and white one. Very clean lines and I have a fondness for blue and white. I am very impressed with your freemotion quilting, too. That is such an art.